The dog shelter is located at 248 Reservoir Road, off Beaver Pike just west of Jackson.
Hours of Operation:
- Monday and Tuesday from 8 am to 3 pm.
- Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 8 am to 10 am
- Saturday from 10 am to 2 pm
- We are closed on Sundays and government holidays
Hours can change suddenly due to emergency calls and our staffing.
The office phone number is (740) 286-7262. We have a voice mail system if the office is unattended.
Email address: email@example.com
Mailing address: 275 Portsmouth St, Jackson OH 45640
COMMON QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS:
- Dog and kennel licenses? – dog tags – must they be worn on the collar?
- All dogs must be tagged every year. Tags are $14 and a $14 penalty is added after February 1st. Yearly renewal starts in December.
- Do dogs require a Rabies vaccine?
- Ohio law says dogs have to be vaccinated. Please contact any small animal veterinarian.
- Dropping off dogs
- Owners wishing to surrender a dog must call ahead and make an appointment. Strays can be brought in during office hours but it is always wise to call ahead. Our number is (740) 286-7262.
- Adopting dogs
- You must fill out an application, be over 18, and have written landlord/parental consent. The cost is $30 and includes a leash, collar, microchip, vaccines, wormer, and an adoption pack.
- Spay and neuter clinics
- We don’t schedule these clinics – the Humane Society does. We do offer a discounted program for people who adopt from us.
- What if someone is bitten by a dog?
- Notify us immediately at (740) 286-7262. After hours, call law enforcement and they will contact us. The dog must be quarantined for 10 days and it is reported to the health department.
- Reporting stray or loose dogs
- Call the pound at (740) 286-7262 and leave a voice mail.
- What if a stray dog is injured or sick
- Call the pound at (740) 286-7262 and leave a voice mail. In an emergency, call law enforcement and they will contact us.
- Donations for the dog pound
- Donations are deeply appreciated. Items can be dropped off at the pound during the day, left at any of the local veterinarian offices, or dropped at the Commissioner’s office.
- Volunteering to help
- We do dog walking on Saturdays from 10 am to 2 pm. This is the best time to start volunteering. Our Facebook page mentions other special projects that happen from time to time. “Like” our Facebook page for our support group – ‘Friends of the Jackson County Dog Pound’.